I dipped my toe into the violently rippling pool of discussion about the Jamaican athletes’ Olympics gear the other day and I mean literally ‘dipped’ since my approval of most of the pieces was met with such derision by some that I quickly scampered away to safety. This is why it thrills me to say that despite the obvious displeasure expressed by so many of my countrymen over the Cedella Marley-designed Olympics uniforms, that the team looked fantastic in them at the opening ceremonies in London.
I daresay I was right (pops proverbial collar) and that the designs were fashion-forward, eye-catchingly colourful and would photograph well. I’m still craving a couple of the blazers (like the ones worn by Asafa Powell and Michael Frater) which I would totally rock in army green or black.
Though I wouldn’t dare try to pull it off myself – the yellow pants with the military black seams were so ‘cool’ they were ‘hot!’ (FYI – coloured jeans are the ‘it’ jeans of the moment, people, for both guys and girls). The effect of the multiple combos of different pieces made it all uniquely personal, exotic and decidedly tropical. Tropical in a ‘White rum-chased-with-Ting-on-a-beach-with-jerk-pork/sausage/lobster’ kinda way. The cool, modern way we Jamaicans do tropical.
The fitted, belted, militarised shrunken jackets and mini-skirts that some female athletes opted to rock; the men’s body-con shirts and vests offset by a variety of chic accessories such as scarves, straw fedoras and newsboy caps, in my opinion, made our athletes look uber-hip.
In fact, compared to, say, Canada (ho-hum khakis and red wind-breakers with Canada sprawled across the front in huge white letters-as if we might forget who they are); and the US’s (yawn-inducing Made in China military school navy blazer and berets), I dare say Jamaica’s outfits were among the most ‘haute couture’ of them all and made our small group of Olympians ‘pop’!
Kudos to Cedella Marley. Time Magazine plug aside, I guess you knew what you were doing after all. Now, where and when can a non-athlete purchase some hot pieces from/inspired by the Jamaica Olympic kit?
PS – Still not a fan of that ‘weed’-print A-line skirt, though!
- The Jamaican Olympic Team Outfits – “Ugly – Horrible” (newsandviewsbydjmillerja.wordpress.com)
- Cedella Marley Designs Jamaican Team Uniforms for PUMA (shoppingblog.com)
- StyleBlazer Approved: Cedella Marley Designs Jamaica’s Olympic Uniforms for Puma (styleblazer.com)
- Usain Bolt will carry the flag for the Jamaican team at the Olympic opening ceremony (thesun.co.uk)
- Jamaica and the London 2012 Olympics: All Jamaican Athletes are now in London and headed to Athlete’s Village (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- High-end designers are competing for gold (boston.com)